G33K-TRICKS: [SOLVED] WIFI not working after replacing /editing /modifying the wpa_supplicant.conf file

Thursday, March 9, 2017

[SOLVED] WIFI not working after replacing /editing /modifying the wpa_supplicant.conf file


How to solve WIFI not working if WPA_supplicant.conf is modified or changed.

I ran into the problem one day when I was just playing around my Android phone's wpa_supplicant.conf file.
I happily rooted my phone and went to /data/misc/wifi folder and edited the file using root explorer and saved it. Till this point it was all looking so easy. I rebooted my phone and I was surprised after the phone came back from boot.
My Wifi was not at all switching On after replacing the wpa_supplicant.conf file.
Tried many things but did not solve the issue. I was going to factory reset my phone but after long search
 I found the solution to WIFI not working.

The reason was, when we edit the wpa_supplicant.conf file while saving the ownership to file changes, as we will be editing the file as a root.


You can see from the screenshot, the ownername and ownergroup are changed to "root" instead, they should be "wifi"

Resolve WiFi not working wpa_supplicant.conf

Below are simple steps to resolve wifi not working:

$ adb root
$ adb -d shell

# cd /data/misc/wifi
# chown system.wifi wpa_supplicant.conf
# reboot


Hope you find this useful information.
Checkout other tricks in this blog.

No comments: